» HABS history & activities
HABS history & activities
History & Activities
EDUCATION AND HEALTH
- 1997-98 Volunteer chiropractic clinics on Zanzibar (October) and in Sri Lanka (December/January).
- 1997-2010 Developed linkages with educators, health care professionals and students. E.g. Zanzibar, Tanzania, UK, Australia, United States, Belgium, Netherlands, Norway, Canada.
- 1998 CIDA project in Sri Lanka in conjunction with the Tea Research Institute (TRI), to assess and improve the working conditions and health of the women tea pluckers. Developed a new basket for the tea pluckers.
- 1999 Developed linkages with educators, health care professionals and students in other countries e.g. Zanzibar, Tanzania, UK, Australia, United States, Belgium and the Netherlands.
- 2000-2010 Set up a list of international and national volunteers.
- 2001 Set up a committee of teachers and students who raised funds through donations from teachers, students and the Leadership program at Oak Bay High School. The money raised bought school supplies for over 1200 students and teachers in Jambiani, Zanzibar.
- Started a pen pal program between 29 students at Oak Bay High School in Victoria, BC (Canada), and Jambiani School, Zanzibar (Tanzania).
- Sponsored a member of the community in Jambiani to Canada for 3 months.
- Oak Bay High School – fundraising project by Management/Marketing 11/12 classes for supplies for Jambiani School.
- Silent Auction – fundraiser and publicity for HABS.
- 2001-2002 Completed the clinic and accommodation for volunteer health care professionals and educators in Jambiani
- 2003 Opened the Jambiani Wellness Centre and welcomed volunteer Chiropractors, a Nurse, a Massage Therapist, a Sign Language Interpreter for the Deaf and Hard-of-Hearing (DHH). Since 1999, over 24,000 patient visits have been recorded.
- 2003-2011 Provided training for teachers on Activity Based Learning pertaining to DHH students.
- Conducted a workshop for Teachers training to be Sign Language Interpreters for the DHH.
- Liaised with the Zanzibar Government and organizations in Tanzania and Zanzibar to start a sign language program in Jambiani. (ongoing)
- Curriculum development and delivery of Education for Rural People (ERP) program to Civics teachers and Resource Advisors through the Zanzibar Ministry of Education National Teacher Training program, British Council and FAO.
- Conducted workshops on Student-Centred Learning styles for educators and Ministry of Education officials in Zanzibar.
- Provided relaxation and massage classes and training for members of the Jambiani community to assist them in acquiring an employable skill, who in turn volunteered at the Jambiani Wellness Centre.
- Provided short courses certificate programs in (English Second Language) ESL, Food Safe, Food Production, Math, IT and Keyboarding classes to members of the Zanzibar community. (ongoing)
- Provided transportation and food for six DHH students and an adult chaperone to the (UWZ) DHH School in Stone Town. (ongoing)
- Contract with the Ministry of Health.
- Disbursement of a container of donated medical and educational supplies from Canada.
- Medical and surgical supplies donated to the Ministry of Health.
- Internships/Work Experience for students from Germany, Denmark, Norway, US and Canada.
- Pat was elected as Charter Vice-President for Rotary Zanzibar, Stone Town (2006); in 2006-7 Director for International Services; 2007-8 Vice-President; 2008-9 President-Elect.
- Water project which installed a new pump to Jambiani in cooperation with HABS and the International Committee for the Red Cross (ICRC).
- TWECS (Third World Eye Care Society) brought a team of specialists and volunteers coordinated by HABS, to Zanzibar in November, 2006. They checked the vision of 4,750 patients and dispensed glasses at the Jambiani Wellness Centre. TWECS returned to Machui, Zanzibar; in 2009, coordinated between HABS and the Rotary Club of Zanzibar Stone Town. Treated 3,900 patients and dispensed 2,000 pairs of eye glasses.
- Associate project partner with ACRA and EU – 3 year project on Hospitality, Entrepreneurship, Environment and SME’s; 2006-2009. Phase I. Associate project partner for Phase II; 2009-2012
- Fundraised to send a young child with Congenital Heart Defect to India for surgery.
- Built a tourism training facility in the village of Jambiani to further the economic development of youth. The construction for this facility began in August, 2006; courses started in October 2007.
- Screening for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing at the Jambiani Wellness Centre and Jambiani Tourism Training Institute, in cooperation with the Zanzibar Outreach Program (ZOP). Tested 40 patients from the south east coast of Zanzibar. Fitted 10 patients with hearing aids; 2 had surgery; 28 treated for impaction.
- Diploma students graduated. All find employment.
- Coordinated a container with clothing, agricultural tools, medical and school supplies to be distributed in Jambiani and Zanzibar. Coordinated with Kamloops Fire Fighters, BC, Canada, Rotary World Wide Network and HABS.
- Internships for health care practitioners in Zanzibar. Liaising with Pacific Rim College, Victoria, BC. This project began in 2008.
- Partnership with CUSO-VSO.
- Building three additional training rooms. Funded by World Bank/DFID (UKAID) through their TPSF/CCP funding.
- Pilot Train-the-Trainer program. Funded by World Bank/DFID.
- Improving IT and telecommunications (Internet service) for the Institute.
- Composting project in conjunction with the community of Jambiani.
- Recycling project in conjunction with the hotel owners in Jambiani.
- Feature article – The Swahili Coast, Zanzibar
- Feature article – Karibu Zanzibar – in-flight magazine- Commission for Tourism
- Times Colonist newspaper, Victoria Canada – Five articles
- Children’s Global Arts Teacher Resource Guide, University of Victoria, Canada.
- Article in the EU News/Habari Newsletter, United Republic of Tanzania
- Article for the Greater Victoria School District Superintendent’s Bulletin
- Journal article for the Chiropractors’ Association of Australia
- Featured journal article for the winter edition of the Canadian Memorial Chiropractic College magazine
- Guest speakers at Oak Bay Kiwanis Club (3x), Oak Bay Rotary, Chase Rotary and the Brentwood Bay Rotary in British Columbia, Canada
- Magazine article for St. Aubyn’s School, England
- Featured journal article for the British Columbia Massage Therapist magazine
- Open house in Victoria to publicize further projects for HABS
- Magazine article for Canadian Memorial Chiropractic College
- Oak Bay News – feature article
- Guest speaker for several Leadership and regular classes in the Greater Victoria School Board
- Several fundraisers in the Victoria area
- Featured article for The Canadian Chiropractor Journal
- Guest speaker at Pro-Poor Tourism Conference, Zanzibar. EU/ACRA funded.
- Guest speaker at ILO Conference, Zanzibar on tourism education and Apprenticeship programs.